The injection is a Long Acting Reversible Contraception. Depo-Provera is an injection in the top of the buttock containing the hormone progestogen.
- Over 99% effective.
- Stops ovulation by increasing the cervical mucus and thinning the lining of the womb.
- Lasts for 12 weeks.
- Only have to remember 4 times a year.
- It can take up to a year for your fertility to return once the injection has run out.
- Periods can become irregular or stop completely.
- Contraceptive injection does not protect you against sexually transmitted infections, so you will need to use condoms as well.